Tuesday, September 14, 2010

(Yet) another friend leaves Boston










I would say Alicia was going kicking and screaming except she is moving because she is getting married in November. She's going to Utah to be with her family (and work on a pig farm--for reals), getting married in Manti, and then setting up residence in Oklahoma.

I've been in the Arlington Ward for 22 years (I'm an old timer) and have made hundreds of friends here. I try to visit all the new people (no matter what my calling is) and I'm not going to lie; I am psyched when people say they met me before they met the bishop. Two and a half years ago, David Wright who was in the bishopric, approached me at church and asked if I had met Alicia Slade. I hadn't. He was so happy he had met someone before I had! I immediately got up and went over, introduced myself and invited her to sit with me. Alicia had lived here a year working as a nanny but had attended one of the singles wards and it was her first day in the Arlington Ward (best decision she ever made--just ask her--if she hadn't met me, she wouldn't have met Jenn and she's marrying Jenn's brother--so there!). I invited her over for lunch that day we met and we were instant friends. We've gone on trips together (Maine, Vermont, New York City, the Berkshires, Arby's in Nashua). I can't even think of how many movies we've seen together or how many times we've gone out to eat or on a late night Sonic run. And I can't forget the trips to Walmart in New Hampshire.

I have so many fun memories with Alicia and consider her one of my "besties". I know she will be a lifelong friend and I'm crossing my fingers that she and Jeff will find their way back to New England.

7 comments:

Wendster said...

How wonderful to have a bestie friend like that.

Pig farm? amazing! lol

All my best to her.

And to you. :)

Jodi and Jesse said...

We love Alicia. She is one of a kind. We will miss her!

Alicia said...

You started it all Ellen. It was the best decision I ever made to go to the Arlington ward. You will be a bestie for life. I'll work on Jeff......Don't worry!

Chelsi Ritter said...

i remember the first time you came over to our place when we moved into the ward. you were so much cooler than i could have imagined, and i enjoyed every minute we hung out together!
congratulations to alicia, and i'd love to hear more about that pig farm.....

cherie said...

wow! i'm sure you make that ward a wonderful place to be!

Heather said...

I am so sad for you. I had 4 of my besties leave me this summer and I am still sort of rocking in a corner trying to recreate life without them. Love you fellow Valley Girl!

Alecia Williams said...

QP, you are amazing. You have an incredible way of making every friend feel special. It sounds like Alicia was a great friend. (I think it is because she has such a cool name)....Big hugs!