Thursday, April 29, 2010

My stocking story

When we were little kids our Aunt Shirley made us each a Christmas stocking. They were made of felt and each of ours was a different color, had different Christmas things on it, and was special. Our stockings were part of our childhood. They were pinned up on the top of our living room curtains (it was southern California--no fire place) every Christmas and then Christmas morning they were near our gifts and filled to the brim with treats--and always an orange.


















I believe that when I moved to Boston nearly 22 years ago my stocking came with me. I have a vague memory of it hanging from the curtains in my first apartment in Medford. And then it was gone. Whatever happened to it, I was pretty sad about its disappearance. I thought about asking Aunt Shirley if she would make me another one but felt like that would be asking too much.

My cousin Jules has been making me a gift each month for my birthday this year. She has sent me the coolest things (a red knitted scarf, Easter bag, and Valentine hankies to name a few). It's a treat to get her packages and see what she has made for me.

Jules emailed me a few days ago: Ok, so this one will REALLY make you cry!!! (or just plain think I'm the coolest cousin EVER IN THE HISTORY OF THE WORLD). I really can't wait to send it...in the month it applies to, so you'll get it in May...it will be sent tomorrow...or perhaps Tuesday (after i finish one small part).

I received this today.














I was stunned. And so touched. Jules is definitely the coolest cousin every in the history of the world.

5 comments:

LL said...

Love it!

gigi said...

I agree!

Janssen said...

That is just SO cool.

Anita said...

Hey, she made it at my house, with my patterns, my material and using my identical stocking as a pattern. How about second coolest cousin???
Cousin Anita

Sweeney Household said...

That is a COOL cousin indeed. Love that she did that for you!