Thursday, April 15, 2010

Aha! moment and a gallon of paint












I lived in my last apartment for 8 1/2 years. About 7 years into it I was upstairs visiting my neighbor and noticed she had just painted her kids' room. I asked what the landlady said about painting and she replied, "I didn't ask her." AHA!

Not long after my Aha! moment I bought a gallon of paint and enlisted a friend (who had lots of bright/daring colors in her home) and in one night we prepped, painted and put my bedroom back together--by midnight. That changed my life. I painted the rest of my apartment except the bathroom (which had been repainted after some repair work had been completed). The apartment had oil heat which made the walls dingy and dark (see photo) and I don't think the apartment had been painted in quite a while. My landlady never visited my apartment while I lived there and her sister showed it to the tenants after me so I'm not sure she ever saw how nice it looked. I loved all the new colors in my apartment; especially the red hallway!

I've used some of those same colors to paint my condo.

4 comments:

allegra said...

that's what i did at eastgate! i painted one wall in kitchen and didn't ask permission b/c i knew i wouldn't get it:) then... i just [painted it back white upon leaving. :)

LL said...

ask forgiveness rather than permission?!? I'd be SO mad if our renters painted. I'm a MEAN landlord. :)
Knowing you though, it looked fabulous!

amy said...

so how 'bout some photos of your red hallway. I just painted our media room burnt orange - stinkin' cool.

Alecia Williams said...

Ellen!! Are you talking about one of my favorite memories of us? That was so fun and I am glad that you thought of it. I still smile just thinking of us painting into the night. Take care!!!

Big Hugs!