Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Better safe than sorry

Do you back up your computer? I've heard of a few cases recently where people have had their hard drives crash and have lost EVERYTHING. And they are devastated. One friend sent a mass email asking friends/family to send any pictures they had of their family because they now have lost all their pictures from two years of their life. So as I'm typing this blog entry I'm burning a CD with some pictures I took of their daughter (they hired me to photographer her every three months the first year of her life so I have hundreds of photos).

This is BIGREDEP's back-up plan: I copy my photos on an external drive (I try to do this before formatting my digital camera cards). [External drives are not that expensive.] AND, I use an on-line back-up service. It costs me $4.95 a month. That's it. It backs up all my photos, documents, and songs EVERY DAY. I'm happy knowing that if something were to happen to my computer or external drive, all is well, all is well.

http://mozy.com/

If you don't back up your computer, start today!

We will now return to our regularly scheduled blogging.

4 comments:

Sweeney Household said...

I second that, cousin!
Thanks to the fact that we belong to a church where there is an expert (or 100's of them) in every field, we have a working computer and external hard drive and CD/DVD burner!!! And most importantly, we have our photos!

Juliet said...

GREAT ADVICE. I use Mozy and an external hard drive too BUT I didn't start until after our computer crashed and we lost 4 years of photos and other documents. After my father-in-law was unable to fix it I opted to pay $800 to send it to a company with a clean room that specializes in recovering badly damaged hard drives. They couldn't fix it either and I was out $800. Now I don't ever delete a photo off my cameras until my daily mozy backup has been preformed.

Eric said...

BTW, Mozy is a BYU student venture started while they were at college. We use Mozy too - have for about 5 years now...we love 'em

Sweetpea said...

Learned that the hard way after our old computer crashed and we had to pay $600 to recover all of our lost files, including all the pictures of our son's first year of life. I cried for weeks while before we were sure they could recover it. UGh.