Wednesday, August 02, 2006

HOT stuff

Today it was 98 degrees ("feels like 107"). Now that's HOT but the heat didn't stop me from walking 30 minutes at the Lexington track tonight.

So here's my take on the Boston weather: I always tell people, "If you live in Houston or Atlanta, you know what your summer is going to be like (HOT/HUMID). If you live in Minnesota or Michigan you know what your winter is going to be like (FREEZING/SNOWY). And if you live in Boston the weather is kind of a crap-shoot."

My first summer here ('88) it was brutal. I remember lying on the couch, calling my parents, and saying, "I don't think I can live here." It was my introduction to humidity. People kept telling me it was only humid two weeks out of the summer. Really? That was about week six. It was awful. And the other crazy thing was not very many people had air conditioners and I knew one person with central air. That's crazy! Seriously, I think I lived here 5 years before I bought a window unit (I guess I'm a true New Englander!). Some winters we get lots of freezing days and snow and some winters we don't. One winter I had six snow days off of work! I've stood many a morning on the bus stop with frozen hair and the wind taking my breath away. But some winters are mild.

I like that the weather here is somewhat unpredictable.

All that aside, I'm thoroughly enjoying my central air conditioning! Ahhhh....life is good!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory?id=2272115