Friday, April 05, 2013

Collecting sand/dirt



For years my sister-in-law Kim has been collecting sand and dirt from places she has visited, and places her kids and friends have visited.  She has a really cool collection (a few shelves worth).

I saw an article in Martha Stewart Living for "vacation jars" (the photo isn't showing up in the link -- you can see the photo here).  I found the bottles at the Container Store for $3 each and then after some internet searching, I found 4 oz. bottles at Uline for only 95 cents each (a box of 24).  I thought a box of these jars and some labels would make a nice wedding gift.

One of the things on my road trip list was visiting the Florida gulf coast so on New Year's Eve day we drove across Alligator Alley to Bonita Springs Beach in Naples.

And I present my vacation jars.

5 comments:

Shauna said...

I totally love this idea!

Lindsay @ Diary of a Crafty Lady said...

Yes, so cool!
We have a jar of New England sand and shells in the girls room.
What I did not know, and someone told me, is that I needed to bake the sand for a while at a low temp, to kill the yucky critters. So I did. Just thought I'd pass along the advice :)
Lindsay

Anonymous said...

Such a cool idea!

Blue said...

I've had a big jar of pink sand from bermuda for years, but never done anything with it. and last week i collected a big pile of black sand from vieques (island off the coast of puerto rico). i was in st george this week and marveling at the soft, powdery red sand along the trail at snow canyon...but didn't collect any. i LOVE this idea! i'd been kinda thinking of getting a pretty glass container to put sand in the bottom and then all the shells and sea glass i collected, but maybe a smaller-scaled display would be better. thanks for the idea! ♥

maggie-t said...

this is brilliant! Jeremy is forever collecting shells and such from different places. They fill up my storage space, but he won't let me throw them away. Now I know what to do with them!! thanks

p.s. Lindsay, thanks for the tip.