Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Juror #74























After being a registered voter in Massachusetts for nearly 25 years, I finally got called to Jury Duty.  It was nothing like my experience in Beverly Hills.  I had to wake up earlier than I do for work (whatever).  There is much sitting and waiting.  After two hours they called numbers 1 - 104 as the pool for jurors on an expected two-week criminal case.  Certainly they wouldn't get to #74.  We sat in the courtroom and they called each number and you had the opportunity to go up and give the judge your reason(s) you should be excused.  When they called my number I said "No" (I didn't think a busy full-time job, impending window replacement, or upcoming vacation would be good enough reasons).  And certainly they wouldn't get to #74.  Sixteen prospective jurors filled the fancy seats and the rest of us went to the courtroom across the hall.  When they weeded through the whole group they had everyone return to the courtroom.  Then they started excusing people.  And replacing them in the fancy chairs.  Certainly they wouldn't get to #74.  They were in the 50's.  I started to get nervous.  Then they called #74 to sit in seat #10.  I started to sweat.  I was in the hot seat for about ten minutes before they excused me.  Did I look too conservative?  Was it because I never took my coat off?  All I can say is I've never been so happy to go to work!

3 comments:

Rachel S. said...

I served on jury duty and it was actually quite fun!

Unknown said...

Interesting... my experience was quite different. We'll have to compare notes.

life in red shoes said...

I've been called 3 times, dreaded going!
Apparently the 3rd times the charm. Not only was I chosen for the jury but the jury voted me foreman!
I found it quite interesting and unnerving at the same time. When I stood to say GUILTY he looked me right in the eye.