Sunday, May 27, 2012

My RS moment

I wasn't really a fan of sitting in front in Relief Society (since I'm the RSP).  But I remember my friend Julie, a former RSP, saying that when you sit in front you can see all the women and how nice that was (so I do it).

There is a lovely woman in our ward who joined the church last summer.  She's solid and strong and a dear friend.  She is vision impaired and uses braille scriptures, lesson manuals and hymnbooks.  When we started singing the opening song in Relief Society today I noticed she didn't have her hymnbooks (two large notebooks) so I got them out of the closet for her.  During the closing song I looked over and she was singing and smiling and I was filled with the spirit watching her.  Towards the end of the song she closed the notebook and sang the last few lines:

I'll go where you want me to go, dear Lord
Over mountain or plain or sea;
I'll say what you want me to say, dear Lord;
I'll be what you want me to be.

As soon as the closing prayer was said, I went right over to her as she was putting her hymnbooks in the closet and told her how touched I was watching her sing, especially at the end of the song.  I was crying and bumbling over my words and she reached out and hugged me and said, "I'm so happy."

6 comments:

LL said...

so so sweet!
You're a great RSeP.

balmforth.family said...

Be safe with your singing. :-) Great story

amydear said...

Thanks, ep. Just what I needed tonight.

Sister! said...

Sister, that was beautiful.

Unknown said...

This makes me happy too.

Sweeney Household said...

That same type of "moment' has happened to Brian and me in Sacrament Meeting with her. It is so inspiring to see her enthusiasm for the gospel and Braille is super cool.