Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Robes and his Red Vines













Today marks 13 years since my brother Robes died. I try to do something in his honor on this day so today I'm eating some Red Vines, one of his favorite treats.

When my sister-in-law Kim and their kids went to the mortuary after Robes died they each put something in his casket. Kim put some French chocolate and Red Vines in a ziploc bag near Robes' hands. The day of his funeral we were all in the R.S. Room getting ready to close the casket and have the family prayer. Kim lifted Adrienne up (she wasn't quite three and a half) to say goodbye to her dad. Adrienne noticed the Red Vines and started yelling, "RED VINES! I WANT RED VINES!" Kim knew there was no way Adrienne would stop until she got some Red Vines so with Adrienne on her hip, Kim reached into the casket, opened the ziploc bag and pulled off a piece of Red Vines for Robes' little girl.

I smile when I think of Robes and his Red Vines.

9 comments:

LL said...

what a sweet story--made me smile!
I bet he was more than happy to share.
Thinking of you today!

Unknown said...

bittersweet.

XO

Alecia Williams said...

Thanks for sharing this sweet story and for always paying such tender tributes to your brother. He was obviously an amazing person,

Smilin' sunshine said...

so sweet!

Alicia said...

That's one of my favorite stories. And I love Red Vines too. And I bet I would have loved Robes.

Sandman said...

That's a great story! My thoughts are with you. Does the loss ever not hurt?

Unknown said...

I love this post, Ellen. Now I, too, am going to eat some red vines.

Tiffany said...

What a sweet story.

Melanie said...

That is such a great story. Thanks for sharing it.