Monday, June 28, 2010

Stanley's got shoes



















The Boy Scouts in the ward are leaving this weekend for their high adventure in southern Utah. My friend Stanley is going with them and he will turn 12 on the trip. He moved from Haiti to Boston to join his mother here back in December. A few months ago I loaned Stanley some camping items for an overnight on the Cape. He needed some gear for the high adventure so I offered to help get him outfitted for the trip. The main thing he needed was hiking boots/shoes so I asked a few friends if they were interested in contributing some money and Stanley and I went shopping tonight. We found some cool waterproofed hiking shoes on a great sale at L.L. Bean. While we were there I asked about headlamps but they didn't have any on sale and I decided to pass on getting him one. As we were standing at the counter taking care of paying, the clerk that helped us with the shoes told us to wait a minute. I heard her say, "I'm buying this. Everyone needs one of these on a hiking trip." She bought Stanley a really cool headlamp! What a nice gesture. I asked for her name and plan to send her a note. That act of kindness certainly boosted my spirits today.

8 comments:

Blue said...

i love love love stories like this.

yes, i did attend the writer's retreat. it was awesome!!!

LL said...

that story gave me chills.
Stanley is a handsome guy, I hope he loves camp.
You are the best EP!

balmforth.family said...

What a great story. That is so awesome!

lime said...

So great to hear that there is still goodness in the world! Thanks for sharing and reminding us that we can be that person.

Unknown said...

Stanley's got FRIENDS!!
I hope his trip is the best ever.

Carla said...

hope Stanley has a great trip. Bless you and the clerk!

M & S said...

What a great story! Thanks for sharing. ;)

Camille said...

Love this... you really are the best. What a lucky little guy.