Monday, June 29, 2009

Birthday fruit tart

I love when my birthday lasts a few weeks with wishes and cards and dinners and gifts trickling in. My friend "Sister" invited me to dinner tonight. When I got to her house she announced that we were going out and we walked across the street to the Elephant Walk. I've heard great things about that restaurant for years (French/Cambodian food) and dinner was delicious.

We passed on the dessert menu since Sister had bought a fruit tart. I imagined a custard filling in a pie crust with fruit on top. Yum. Sister served the tart and it looked different than I expected. It had beautiful fruit on the top but was dark so I assumed it was chocolate mousse with a graham cracker crust. We both took bites and then both made faces. It wasn't at all what we imagined and frankly didn't taste very good.














Sister jumped up and went over to the box and then exclaimed, "HAPPY VEGAN BIRTHDAY!"

Note: Dessert w/out butter and eggs is NOT dessert!

4 comments:

Sister said...

I'm so bad! I might as well have flipped you off for your big birthday.

Perhaps a trip to Kimball's will set things right.

Smilin' sunshine said...

It's the thought that counts, right?!

Diana said...

Oh brother...vegan anything sounds gross! But I'm glad you got to eat at The Elephant Walk. Tyler and I went there a few times (the one between Fenway and Brookline) and it was delicious!

Unknown said...

How did I miss this post?
Laughing over here.