Wednesday, April 04, 2007

The Mmofra Trom Project










A few years ago my friend Diane asked for donations for a village in Ghana called Mmofra Trom. I sent emails out to friends and coworkers asking for cotton dresses, shirts, socks and underwear, bathing suits, used soccer cleats, and soccer shirts. For months I drove around and collected items and when my trunk was full I would drop the things off at Diane's house. I remember Diane beaming as she told me which little girl would get a certain dress. People were so generous and Diane was able to take a lot of the things to Ghana.

Tonight I got to hear the Mmofra Trom Project Manager, Olan Adjetey, speak to a group of youth at the church. The village of Mmofra Trom has 300-400 people. They have built a school and two homes for 20 orphan children who have lost parents to AIDS. Olan showed us slides of each of the children. They were beautiful! They are looking for monetary donations so they can build a medical center and more homes for orphans.

After Olan's talk, we all went downstairs for refreshments and he played the drum while some of the kids danced around.

I have an idea of something I can do for these kids. I left tonight feeling inspired by this great man.

2 comments:

Nikki said...

that's really cool, ellen. the youth in Boston sure get some really exciting people to come and talk to them!

Unknown said...

I regularly send links to Olan, so he knows how much support he has in Boston. He will love seeing your post--and I love seeing the photo. I can't wait to hear his drums again.....July 2008.