Sunday, April 01, 2007

General Conference memory

When I was 16 I asked my parents if I could go to Salt Lake City for April General Conference. They said I could under one condition: that I take my little brother Charles (who was ten years old) with me. That sounded like a good deal to me. I remember standing in front of the Greyhound bus door saying goodbye to my Mom and asking her to tell Charles not to ask me questions the whole way to Utah (which he did). That was in 1977. Back then the bus traveled through lots of small towns between Los Angeles and Salt Lake City (I specifically remember stopping for lunch in either Fillmore or Beaver). It was a great adventure for two big city kids. We stayed with our Pitchforth grandparents in Salt Lake City who lived in the Bell Wines apartments at 540 East 1st South. I have some fun memories of that trip with Charles.

I remember waking up early on Saturday and walking downtown with Charles and Grandpa to wait for the 10:00am session. Grandpa left us in line at the Tabernacle and he walked home. Soon after that someone announced that we were in line for the 2:00pm session. Immediately Charles yelled, "I'm not waiting all day in line!" I couldn't let him walk back to the Bell Wines alone. I remember being mad that Charles was being uncooperative and thought my plans for attending General Conference were ruined. We left the line and walked back to the Bell Wines.

On Sunday morning I woke up early again. I think Charles stayed home with Grandma Pitchforth while Grandpa and I walked the five blocks to the Tabernacle. I got in line for the 10:00am session and Grandpa left to walk home. Not too long after that a lady approached me and told me that she had an extra ticket and asked if I would like to sit with her. I have never forgotten how nice she was. Her name was Lily Swatzell and she was from Homer, Alaska. I had her write her name and address in my steno book that I had brought along to take notes in. We entered the Tabernacle that morning and our seats were on the 4th row. That was pretty exciting for a 16 year old girl from California. It was a memorable experience to see the prophet Spencer W. Kimball up close and to be in the Tabernacle for General Conference! I know that experience strengthened my testimony.

A few weeks ago I decided that I wanted to watch all four sessions of General Conference at the church instead of listening on the internet at home. I enjoyed the talks as much as I enjoyed hearing the Mormon Tabernacle Choir sing today.

I'll be back at the church tomorrow at noon to watch more General Conference.

2 comments:

Swoopref said...

Have you spoken with Lily again?

ps: It comes down to Adam (Florida) & Tim (Ohio St.)for the tournament championship. If UCLA had won, you would have moved up about 10 spots.

Billie Rae Gillas said...

Lily is my mother - and the only time she went to the General Conference. She still lives in Homer, AK, but has since remarried. That you for the wonderful way you portrayed her.

Billie Rae