Saturday, March 25, 2017

20 years

20 years ago today my brother (Robert) Robes -- a devoted young father, loving husband, gifted sports writer, dedicated LDS bishop and genuine great guy filled with joie de vivre -- was diagnosed with an anaplastic astrocytoma brain tumor. When I called him to find out the results from the MRI he had the day before and found out the news I was stunned. The doctor told him the tumor was the size of a golf ball, deeply rooted in the right side of his brain, and he should be very alarmed. He had gone to his appointment alone so he had to drive home and tell my sister-in-law Kim the news. I had secretly hoped his health issues were a problem with his pituitary gland (isn't it one the smallest glands?). Robes had the worst side effects from steroids and then brain surgery (and received the official diagnosis of brain cancer), followed by radiation, chemo, and many more horrible things and 18 months and 3 days after March 25th he passed away. I miss my brother every day. His death was a huge loss to his young family. I want a cure for cancer. WE NEED A CURE FOR CANCER. #ihatebraintumors #canceryouarecruel #pattonmemories Note: this was his byline photo for the Ft. Lauderdale Sun Sentinel (he covered the Miami Heat, golf, NCAA playoffs, bowl games and more).

No comments: