Tuesday, September 04, 2012

Love stories























I had dinner with my delightful 87 year old friend Betty Manderino tonight.  I love spending time with her and listening to her share things about her life (and her cooking).  Tonight she shared this story: Immediately after they were married they moved to a base in California.  It was 1945 and you couldn't buy anything metal because of the war.  Betty told Gus one day that she wished she had a potato masher because she was tired of eating baked and boiled potatoes. Gus found some extra heavy wire on their clothesline and made her this potato masher.   That's love.

6 comments:

Gina at Vintage Junk in My Trunk said...

I love this story!

Unknown said...

That's SWEET!!

jksfam said...

Wow! Beautiful story!!!

janamarriott said...

Visiting Teaching Betty was my FAVORITE thing in the whole world... I loved her stories of she and Gus and sometimes, when I clsoe my eyes and think real hard, I can smell her apartment! LOVE IT!

gigi said...

Priceless!

amydear said...

Love this story and love to hear that you are still visiting Betty.