Friday, September 07, 2012

Amazing story

Back in the day, single sisters could feed the missionaries in their homes (that is not the case now).  In the mid 90's I invited the missionaries over for dinner one night and they brought a teenage boy with them who was serving a mini-mission (shadowing missionaries for a week during the summer).  He was so nice and polite and impressive -- and NOT a member of the church.  His name was Henry Astwood and he lived in Boston.  Henry did join the church and he served a mission.  If I remember correctly, I went to his farewell.  I know I wrote to him a few times.

I was the YW president for 2 1/2 years in 1994-96.  I remember saying that the kids in the city were the future of our church.  They didn't have everything they wanted or needed and most of them were not born into the church.  They had a strength that was undeniable.

During my time as president I drove out of my way to pick up two sisters who promised their dad (who lived far away) they would go to church.  I helped make arrangements for kids to be picked up for activities who had joined the church on their own and their family didn't have a car.  And I helped transport a kid whose parents were going through a divorce and didn't have much support from home.  Sometimes adults complained about these transportation issues and I always stopped them and reminded them that it was part of our calling and that if we didn't get these kids to church and activities they wouldn't be there.  It was important for us to do that.

Today one of my good friends sent me a link to this story.  It brought tears to my eyes.  I remember some of these events.  I remember Jeff Benedict.  I remember these kids.  I'm sure they have no idea what kind of impression they left on people but I will never forget the night I met Jason Astwood.  

9 comments:

Jodi said...

Love this.

Jim and Lisa said...

I remember Jason and I think I remember Henry. It's amazing to me to hear this story beause as a teenager I had no idea, nor understood, how much he/they went through. My life was truly easy compared to that. I remember he was always so nice. Truly great men. Thanks for sharing this!

Becky said...

Wow...and people think their life is SO hard. Amazing story.

lime said...

Great story--thanks so much for sharing.

jksfam said...

Wow! Very touching!

Unknown said...

It is always amazing how the little things you do (like give people rides) turn into really big things with the passage of time ... thanks, thanks, thanks for sharing this, Ellen!

Sweeney Household said...

That is so inspiring and makes me want to always be available to help. Wow.

LL said...

unreal! What an incredible story. Thanks for sharing this.

Unknown said...

it's the little things, isn't it?...