Thursday, October 25, 2007

The Lunch Lady

I am responsible for making arrangements for the emeritus professor's luncheon twice a year (preparing invitations, taking the RSVP's, choosing the menu, etc.) . The luncheon was today. I went over early with name badges and made sure that everything was running smoothly. The matrons (faculty and staff and wives of professors) luncheon was at the same time. The woman in charge of that luncheon invited me to join them so I did. I sat next to an older woman and got chatting with her (I know that's a shocker) and she was really delightful. She was born and raised in Ohio and graduated from Vassar and then got a Ph.D. at Radcliffe (in the 40's) -- in chemistry! I believe her husband has passed away but he taught chemistry and she did research in chemistry and she said they understood each other! I said she must have been a "shining star in Ohio" (leaving there and attending fancy colleges) and she smiled and nodded that she was. She took a chemistry class in high school and her teacher had never taught a girl before! It was really fun to hear her stories and I hope to visit her. In the meantime, I'm going to send my new friend a few of my photocards and she got some ink on my blog.

1 comment:

Melanie said...

Hooray!! That is such a sweet story. I hope that your event went off okay. We had an interesting meeting today regarding catering; I hope that improvements come out of it.