Saturday, January 27, 2007

Snow on the beach is...weird


















Today Mimi and I went to Maine. We shopped at the Crate & Barrel Outlet in Kittery, saw Nubble Light in York Beach, walked along the Marginal Way in Ogunquit, lunched at the Maine Diner (we had a delicious lobster roll), drove by the Bush Compound in Kennebunkport, did some antiquing (I bought a red scale and some dollar bottles) and strolled along Old Orchard Beach.

Years ago I worked with a woman who was born and raised in a Boston suburb. One Monday she asked what I had done over the weekend. I told her I went to Maine. She thought I went for the weekend and asked where I stayed. I told her I went up and back in one day and she was stunned. Maine was a 70 minute drive from my house; why would I stay over night? After that she would always ask, “Did you go to Maine for five minutes?”

Mimi and I were both born and raised in southern California. Since moving here I've had trouble understanding snow on the beach and today Mimi was having trouble grasping that same concept but we had a fun day and thoroughly enjoyed our 5+ minutes in Maine.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOL! You're right...that does look "weird." LOVE the pictures though. Looks like you had a lot of fun!

Sandman said...

Wow! 70 minutes? That's how long it takes me to get to work. It would be great if it felt like I was at work for only 5 minutes, but it feels like every bit of 8 plus hours. Great pictures! That light house that Mimi Rogers is standing in front of looks like one I've seen in a couple of movies.