Thursday, February 08, 2018

TBT: Robes memory

My brother Robes covered the NBA All-Star game in New York City 20 years ago today (he was a sports writer covering the Miami Heat for the Ft. Lauderdale Sun-Sentinel). He invited me and my parents to join him for the weekend. He and I went to a Stevie Wonder concert and we all went to something at Madison Square Garden (slam dunk contest? rookie game?) but he couldn’t get us tickets to the actual game. We attended church at Lincoln Center Sunday morning and that might have been my first time attending church in that amazing building. I remember him pointing out Dave Checketts who was sitting a few rows in front of us in sacrament meeting. Robes got a red duffle bag for me that had the all-star game logo on it and it had this black frame and photo album in it (did they call it swag back then?). Robes was feeling well enough to work and travel though about six weeks after this things started to go downhill and he passed away about six months later. I’ll always remember this fun weekend and I love this photo my parents took of us in our hotel room. Can you see his gray brain tumor awareness pin on his lapel? #pattonmemories #ihatebraintumors #imissmybrothereveryday

No comments: