Thursday, February 02, 2017

TBT: Nan the Den Mother

My mom wasn't very lovey dovey or huggy kissy but she was all about supporting her kids in their activities. Here is the paragraph about her year from one of our Christmas letters that my dad sent to me in one of the boxes of treasures: "I had great fun this year beginning with the day after Christmas. I took the three oldest children to Ensenada, Mexico and San Diego for two days and night. In May I was an alternate to State PTA Convention and spent four days at the Royal Inn on the Wharf in San Diego. In June I accompanied Ellen’s Girl Scout Troop on the Colorado trip and rode horseback daily. One four hour ride took us into mountain meadows where there were still patches of snow. I loved Telluride and Mesa Verde. The nonstop 22 hour bus ride each way was not a highlight. On July 27th I set out with five boy scouts for the Jamboree in Farragut, Idaho. I traveled in convoy with a scout master and four other boys. In five days I delivered them safely to their campground, stored my car in Spokane, and flew to Seattle for a week touring Victoria and Vancouver. I spent three nights at the Empress Hotel and the most enjoyable time on the island was when I rode a one car train to Nanaimo with the local commuters. I hope someday I can return and see Long Beach on the west end of the island. I drove the boys back as far as Sacramento, and flew home two days later. (Bob flew to Sacramento and drove the boys home.) In August we all drove to Utah. In September I took Robert, John, and two of my nieces to San Diego to what we assumed to be the last Padres game in that city. We also visited eight museums in Balboa Park. In October I conducted the junior high school PTA membership drive with about 1600 members. That month I also spent a weekend camping with girl scouts. I also took the Venturers to a Lakers clinic. I am doing Girl Scout cookie sales for the second year. I am the Beehive leader for a second year, and I am looking forward to being Charlie’s den mother in the spring." #pattonmemories #nanwastheboss #yesjohnweseeyourfudgesicle

No comments: