Thursday, January 03, 2013

Lee & Ann Church

These are Kim's parents.  They live in Dahlonega, GA and are some of my favorite people.   When I met Kim in the BYU dorms back in 1979 I was totally intrigued by her large family (she was a freshman and was the oldest of 8 and had a 10 month old baby brother) and her parents' conversion story (they learned about the gospel at the World's Fair in NYC).  I was so happy to meet them in 1983 when Robes and Kim got married.  I've seen them a few times since then and was happy to see them again on this trip.  We got to Dahlonega super late (or after midnight so maybe that's super early) and they were surprised that Adrienne was with me.  We had a nice visit today; I wish I could have stayed longer.  I love their home and hearing about their life.  My time in Dahlonega was definitely a highlight.

2 comments:

josh, erica, nora, wells, evie and stella said...

My dad joined the church the same way! He was there from philadelphia with his bagpipe band. Apparently the missionaries had set up a replica of the salt lake temple that attracted a lot of attention. When my dad and his friend heard the story of the golden plates and angel moroni my dad's friend thought it was rediculous and my dad found himself defending the missionaries and insisting that it really could be true. Then he started to wonder if it was. The rest is history!

Emily said...

Whoa, no way! My dad and his family were at the world's fair in NYC in 1964. It started to rain, so they ran into the closest building, which happened to be that temple replica. They signed a guestbook and some missionaries showed up a short time later.