Friday, May 20, 2011

Don't believe anything I say














Chuck and Emma enjoyed visiting the Joseph Smith Birthplace on Wednesday. I showed them Camp Joseph, we took pictures by the monument, and watched the new Joseph Smith movie. I knew if they liked that, they'd love Nauvoo. Their train was going through Chicago so I started talking it up. I was there 23 1/2 years ago and I loved it: the period clothing, blacksmith shop, fudge, etc., along the Mississippi River. We come from pioneer stock on my mom's side so our relatives were right there. It is a few hours (I was thinking two) from Chicago ("or less" I said) so they could rent a car, see everything, spend the night there, and get back on the train in Chicago headed for Montana. I even got the atlas out of my trunk and showed Chuck the Illinois map and dragged my finger from Chicago to Nauvoo, showing that they weren't that far from each other.

Emma and Chuck called me today. They had arrived in Chicago, rented a car, and when they mentioned going to Nauvoo the car rental guy told them two things: there were lots of Amish people there (wrong: they're Mormons) and it was almost 5 hours away (right: it is that far). OOOPS!

They couldn't see my embarrassed face through the phone and I quickly started talking up Chicago and how it was such a great city. I quickly looked up the Chicago White Sox and Milwaukee Brewers schedules on-line (both teams are in town) and said how fun it would be to go to a baseball game.

So sorry about Nauvoo.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

5 hours?!?
pfff.

LL said...

i spend 5 hours in the car every day.
Nauvoo is SO worth the drive!!!

Chelsi Ritter said...

i can't remember the distance either but that's too bad they couldn't make it; what a beautiful place!! don't feel too bad, ellen; you have such great intentions :)