Saturday, June 25, 2011

Hot and humid

My first summer in Boston (1988) was almost unbearable, weatherwise. I had never lived where it was humid. Everyone kept telling me it only lasted 2 weeks during the summer. They were all liars; it lasted 8 weeks. And people didn't have air conditioners! What?!? I remember lying/laying on my couch and calling my mom to say "I don't think I can live here."

My next few summers weren't that bad. The humidity really did last about 2 weeks. Then another hot and humid summer hit. I decided to buy an air conditioner but they were sold out EVERYWHERE! For reals. It sounds totally crazy impossible but that happens here (air conditioners sell out in the summer, shovels sell out in the winter). My friend and bishop, Kip, suggested I have my parents buy one and ship it to me! That seemed ridiculous. A friend found an air conditioner for me at a yard sale for fifty bucks.

I was at Home Depot today and saw ALL these air conditioners. It doesn't look like they'll be selling out right away; especially since it's 59 degrees today.














Lucky me. My cool condo has central air.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Makes you think New England-ers should have shovels and air conditioners as part of their basic 72 hour kits.
Seriously.

anna said...

Sick - 59 degrees. Um, hello, it is summer.

Holly said...

hmmm, I seem to have forgotten about that part of the summer!

Swoopref said...

That old gigantic air conditioner was only $50.00 bucks!?
I remember nearly braking my back lifting it.