Tuesday, September 28, 2010

May 21, 1959 - September 28, 1998


















This photo [oldest to youngest: Robes, Ellen, John, Chuck] was taken in Portland the last time we were all together (1/98).
*****

My brother Robes died exactly 20 years from the day he entered the Missionary Training Center. Here is a story about him that his mission buddy "Barnes" told at his funeral.

In another city, I believe the town of St. Die in France, Robes became acquainted with a member of the church who was no longer active in the religion. The man had a bakery shop, and began baking around 5 o'clock every morning. Even though Robes was committed to tracting (going door-to-door) everyday from 9am until 9pm, Robes and his companion went to the bakery several mornings a week to assist in the baking chores. This was vintage Robes: identifying the needs of a friend and making time, albeit its inconvenience, helping out in any way possible.

At one point during his mission, Robes shared his baking skills with 175+ other missionaries. These missionaries convened for a mission-wide meeting in France. Missionaries traveled by bike, bus, train and automobile. Robes traveled by bakery truck and shared the gourmet pastries he had prepared that morning in the baker with all who attended!

I've said it before and I'll say it a million times: I miss him every day.
Click here to read my post from 4 years ago.

9 comments:

Sister said...

I love this photo of all of you.

LL said...

sending love!

rebecca said...

What a great story- great brother you have. I'll bet he's just as proud of you as you are of him.

Melanie said...

I have been so caught up in work drama that I didn't even realize today was today. Big hugs to you!!

Unknown said...

You live twice as big because you embody what you love about Robes--
Hugs to you

Smilin' sunshine said...

thinking of you!

Unknown said...

I think we might need to have group again this week.

Hope your feeling ok today.

cay said...

And I'll add to your million times: brain tumors suck.

Hugs to you friend.

paige said...

I didn't even know your brother, but love reading your memories of him. He seemed like a special man. You are lucky he is your brother - forever. And you live life to the fullest - what a great way to truly honor and remember your brother.

I'm in CA - maybe I should go find Tito's Tacos.