Saturday, June 30, 2012

Me and Leslie

Leslie and I grew up in the same ward in Van Nuys though her family moved when she was about 11.  Leslie was Robert's age and her sister was my age and then we both had two younger brothers (and she ended up with a third younger brother).  We totally lost track of each other after they moved.  About 10-11 years ago I recognized Leslie singing in the Mormon Tabernacle Choir during General Conference!  I made a phone call to a mutual friend to get her phone number and I reached her a few days later.  It was fun to reconnect.  In 2003 the Mormon Tabernacle Choir performed with the Boston Pops and I attended the dress rehearsal and saw her then.  The next morning, on the 4th of July, I picked her up at her downtown hotel and we drove to Maine -- I was sure she was the only choir member who left the state that day (I'm sure a majority of them spent the day on the Freedom Trail).  A few days after the 4th, I drove to Tanglewood where the choir performed, on my way to see friends in Rochester, NY.  I've seen Leslie in Utah a few times too.  When I was last in Utah for my friend's wedding, I went to Music and the Spoken Word in hopes of meeting up with Leslie.  I didn't tell her I was in town and didn't take my cell phone with me so after it was over I went to the front of the Tabernacle and hoped that Leslie would look up and see me while she was practicing her music (she didn't) so we didn't connect during that trip.  This morning I got email from Leslie that she and her husband were in town today and so tonight after a baptism and party and before a movie I drove downtown and met them near the World Trade Center where they had gone on one of the tall ships.  They were hot and tired so I picked them up, found a parking spot, and we chatted in my car for a while and then I dropped them at the train station.  It was really nice to see Leslie again!

Note: I used the "1960's" setting in Picasa on this photo since Leslie and I met in the 60's.

2 comments:

LL said...

I love that you're a friend for life!

Unknown said...

when you retire, you can add this chapter to your book about friends (that I know you'll be writing).