Sunday, April 01, 2007

News!!

Have you ever made fun of people and then found yourself doing that same thing you were making fun of? Well, I have. I'm always rolling my eyes when people tell me that they met someone on the internet. Whatever. I always laugh and say, "You think he's a 45 year old man from wherever..." because you can be whatever you want to be on the internet. So it hasn't been my thing. I haven't told anyone--seriously...NO ONE--but I've been lurking on www.hotsaints.com. And, I met this really great guy. And, he's coming to visit me in a few weeks!!! I can't believe I'm even typing this but I'm SO excited and I finally want people to know so I thought my blog would be a good way to share the good news with my friends! I have some friends that have met people on www.ldssingles.com and I went on there once and it was like shopping to me. Pick this trait and that trait. That's not really how I like to meet guys (or make friends for that matter). And then I thought maybe that's why I haven't met too many guys. When I was in Utah a few years ago I saw a billboard for www.hotsaints.com. I always laugh about it but it's real! Every now and then I would look at the site and then I decided I liked their format way better and so a few months ago I decided what the heck, why not give it a try. I'm not getting any younger! I spent lots of late nights working on my profile and deciding which picture to use. I'd put a batch of cookies in the oven and run up to my computer! I'm a multi-tasker like no other! Fairly soon after I finished my profile I met this guy. I NEVER thought I'd meet someone that way. First I wanted to meet guys in my time zone and then I narrowed it down to my area code (because I want to live in Boston forever). But this guy seemed interested in me and what I was all about even though he lived 3,000 miles away. So we've emailed a lot and talked a lot on the phone (now I'm so glad I got my cell phone!). He came to visit me a few weeks ago for a quick weekend and we had a great time and really hit it off (I made sure his first visit was before I had my tooth extracted!). I had to tell a few little white lies about my weekend plans because I didn't want to tell anyone before I met him in case things didn't work out. We did the Ellen Patton Tour of Maine (of course!) complete with lobster rolls and seeing Nubble Light. He even twisted my arm and we went on the Freedom Trail (can you believe it?!?). He's coming to see me in a few weeks and I'm SO excited I can't stand it. I'm looking forward to a few of my friends meeting him (maybe one friend bus load at a time). So a little bit about him...He lives on the west coast. He has a great sales job and can pretty much work anywhere which is cool. He's so nice. Seriously---one of the nicest guys I've ever met (where has he been all my life?!?). And, he's very funny. But better than all of that he has thousands of frequent flyer miles (that was one of my top 5 criteria!). He really likes New England (he usually comes here every other year for a work meeting and he's always liked the area, especially the Cape). He's going to visit the weekend of Patriot's Day which is one of my VERY favorite holidays! We'll go the re-enactment, the Boston Marathon (I LOVE the marathon!! I always go early and save seats for my friends and then we hand out water/fruit to the runners) and it's opening day at Kimball's and we both love heath bar crunch ice cream!! He likes that I'm adventurous. He likes my zest for life. He likes that I keep in touch with lots of friends. He really likes that I'm a night owl since he's on the west coast. And, of course, he likes my curly red hair. :) I don't want to jinx myself but I am so excited about him I wanted to share the news!!!

P.S. I forgot to tell you his name. It's Mr. A. Fools.

14 comments:

Amber said...

You got me! I totally believed it! Man you're good. I have to admit, I was quite disappointed that it wasn't true. Darn it!

Angela said...

Good one Ellen. You are so funny, you had me going.

Queen Elizabeth said...

DANG you had me going.... You little stinker!!!

Elisabeth said...

Ellen- you're so mean! I was wondering how you managed to be so sneaky. I was about to write how excited I was for you!
E

Anonymous said...

Oh, Ellen. You got me too. It got me really motivated to attend all the Patriot's Day activities for a chance to meet him. You described it all so well--I can just picture him! He must be out there somewhere!!!

Janika

Sweeney Household said...

Okay, I completely fell for it. Your Internet comments etched in my memory, I was a bit shocked, but totally believed you. After Elder Oaks' remarks at conference, I figured you would be wise about "internet dating" he he he. Where is this guy? You both like the same kind of ice cream! Clever April Fool's Joke cousin.....

Swoopref said...

William Perry & Burn Camp, move over...
(you got me again!)

Emily said...

Ah, I was hoping to meet this guy on mile 19.

Kal said...

You naughty naughty naughty person.

I was sitting here think, ye gods, EP, the guy is probably some sort of axe murderer, but who am I to rain on your parade...

(Plus what would Ted do if you found another man. He'd be destroyed...)

African Kelli said...

I am so proud of you for taking a leap! I have a great feeling about this Ellen! Good for you!

P.S. I totally fell for this and just realized it was a hoax. Darn it.

Melanie said...

I should have known this was a hoax when I read the part about the Freedom Trail... but you got me too! :)

Boston Paynes said...

That was a great one !! I was falling hook line and sinker !!

Unknown said...

LOL! I was thinking...we just talked about Patriot's Day and you never mentioned him!?!

Nice One!

Anonymous said...

Oh Lalli, how could you do this? You totally got me going on this. It didn't even hit me till the P.S., and even then it took a minute to figure it out. Ok, so I'm slow. Sigh.

gigi