Sunday, November 08, 2009

On a quiet road in Maine...













About 20 years ago I was in Maine driving down a quiet road when I spotted a mailbox that said PITCHFORTH. I slammed on the brakes, got out, and took some photos. My mother's maiden name is Pitchforth and (duh) it's not a very common name. I think we've determined that if they're a Pitchforth, they're a cousin. I sent a mailbox picture to my Grandma (Pitchforth) who was still alive at the time. A year or two after the first sighting my brother Robes (Robert Pitchforth Patton) and his wife Kim were visiting and we found the road. And the mailbox. Robes wanted to meet those Pitchforth folks so we drove down the road. Barry Pitchforth was resting on a picnic table and once he saw us we had a nice visit. I thought he resembled my Grandpa Pitchforth. He thought Robes resembled his brother (which is interesting because people often mistake pictures of my dad and Robes). My mom called Barry's father and made the Pitchforth connection. I've tried a few times since to find the road with no luck. Until yesterday. I wanted to take the Kennebunkport exit. The exit split and I ended up near the tourist information center/gas station/McDonalds instead of heading toward Kennebunkport. I hopped back on #95 and took the next exit following the signs to Kennebunkport. I was on a quiet road and looked up and saw Pitchforth Drive! I slammed on the brakes, got out, and took some photos (for my blog and my family and my cousins)! Now I know where to find the Maine Pitchforths!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

love that! We're famous...I wish I could be with you on your journeys...

amydear said...

I like that story. Glad you found the road again.

Sweeney Household said...

Thanks, Cousin! :)

Josiah said...

My name is Josiah Miles Pitchforth and Barry is my father. I live in Scarborough Maine. It was great to read your blog!