Friday, September 07, 2007

Today's treat

When they mentioned "occasional parking" at the orientation for my current job my ears perked up. You pay $30/year for a sticker that goes on your car window and you can park up to 8 times a month for $3.50/day (and $10/day after the 8th time). Did I hear that correctly?! If you are familiar with the greater Boston area you know that parking is ridiculously expensive. I have been heard saying "sometimes a parking ticket is cheaper than parking!" (It's true.) I signed up for occasional parking that very day. It has been handy if I have plans after work, a doctor's appointment, or I'm bringing a cake to the office.

Driving to work was a treat during the end of the summer. I made notes in my calendar when I drove so I wouldn't go over 8 times. There was construction in a neighboring town which was a bottleneck but other than that, it was a fairly easy drive in and out of Cambridge. The end of August I drove quite a bit and it was a breeze. I could get to work -- door-to-door -- in about 50 minutes! (Note: that is a breeze!)

I decided to treat myself today by driving in to work. As I pulled out of my parking lot onto the street into traffic I noticed my fellow bus buddies waiting on the bus stop and thought I should have just taken the bus. Too late. I was already in my car and ready for the ride. It took me 10 minutes to get out of my town and I soon realized that driving to work during one of the busiest weeks was a bad idea. Everyone is back from vacation. Everyone is back at school. Almost everyone was in their car driving. My treat turned into wrestling with traffic and at a very slow pace. That is no treat! So I turned around, backtracked to the neighboring town, parked in front of a friend's house and walked 10 minutes to the subway station.

I love the subway. I like the bus (and love the bus when it's on time...). Boston has great public transportation. Just this week I mailed my subway passes in so I can get 10% off my car insurance because I take public transportation to work. When I get the reimbursement check from my car insurance company I might treat myself to a new book or some fancy fabric!

2 comments:

lauracita said...

i can't believe it takes 50 minutes to get from lex to cambridge. that's crazy!

Blackeyedsue said...

Oh, Subways!!! I love the Metro in DC. I can't wait until Utah catches up with the East and we have some nice commuter rails of our own.

Enjoy your little treat that you get with the $$$ you are saving!