Monday, May 10, 2010

Ride story #1

This Sunday is the Ride that I do every year so in anticipation of the big day, I'm going to share a few Ride stories.













Not long after my brother Robes was diagnosed with an anaplastic astrocytoma brain tumor, I found out that The Brain Tumor Society was in Boston. And not long after that I heard about their Ride for Research. That first year (1998) Robes was still battling brain cancer. And, a friend-of-a-friend (Mary) was in Boston getting radiation for a brain tumor and I was showing her around New England over the weekends and taking her to church. So Mary and I and her mother, who was in town from Utah, decided that we would volunteer at the Ride. My friend Brian and three of his firefighter friends did the 50 mile ride that year. As soon as they rode off I stood there thinking I should be riding. And, ever since then, I've been doing the 25-mile ride.

6 comments:

Janssen said...

My brother's brain tumor was an astrocytoma too. Good luck this weekend!

Darcee said...

Good for you, Ellen! I went for an 8 mile bike ride a few weeks ago and was extremely saddle-sore. I admire you doing 25! Very impressive!

cay said...

WIsh we could be there. Brain tumors suck.

Shauna said...

I wll be cheering for you from way down here! Good Luck!!!!!

Unknown said...

Enjoy the ride~
I'll be thinking of you.
(Will Nan be here?)

Swoopref said...

That year was a good year to sit out... Driving rain the ENTIRE RIDE!

I am proud to ride in Pattons Army!

(ep can use her connections to get your photo on the Rides website!)